Hari ni bangun lewat sbb letih berjalan smlm dan keluar dari hotel dlm pkl 11 pagi. Naik subway ke Gyeongbokgung Palace. Cantik jugak stesyen subway di istana ni. Hari ni agak ramai jugak org yg dtg melawat sbb semalam istana ni ditutup. Di pintu masuk istana ni ada perbarisan pengawal istana aka palace guard yg semua berjanggut walaupun ditampal sahaja. Masuk ke istana agak murah iaitu 3000 won untuk dewasa. Luas juga kwsn istana yg masih dikekalkan warna dan senibina lama. Ada byk bangunan untuk meeting, tpt tidur, dapur istana dll. Puas jugak la berjalan keliling istana. Then naik bas ke Namdaemon Market untuk beli brooch dan souvenirs. Sblm membeli belah, kami ke restoran untuk makan. Apa lagi yg sedap di korea kalau bukan bibimbap dan kimchi. Anak2 makan udon jugak sbb yg lain pedas2 kecuali Zarul yg suka makan bibimbap. Lepas makan, bermulalah aktiviti membeli belah: ke tpt membuat accesories seperti brooch, tie clip etc (hampir semua ada batu tiruan seperti pearl etc). Mama borong byk jugak la > 2 man yen untuk brooch je. Then beli accesories untuk Alya (ikat rambut etc). Untuk boys n papa: t-shirts. Next beli souvenirs: key chain, handcrafts, chopsticks stainless steel etc. Carik jugak leather jacket but kesuntukan masa dan dah letih memilih brg2, tak jadik beli (sbb dah ada 1 cuma now ada kat Malaysia). Then balik terus ke Itaewon untuk dinner. Kami decide naik bas je sbb kalau naik subway nak kena transfer n jarak antara tiap line agak jauh. Takut jugak naik bas di Seoul ni sbb punya la laju n kejap ke kiri kejap ke kanan, break…etc. Tapi kira cepat jugak dah sampai Itaewon. Then makan kat tpt pilihan anak2: Mac D. Sampai ke hotel dlm pkl 8 mlm dan berkemas untuk esok. Esok kena bangun awal sbb bas akan bertolak ke Incheon Airport dlm pkl 6 pagi. So set morning call pukul 4 pagi dan anak2 mandi dulu sebelum tidur.
Gyeongbok Palace (경복궁, Gyeongbokgung) is a palace located in northern Seoul, South Korea. It was the main and largest palace of the Joseon Dynasty and one of the Five Grand Palaces built by the Joseon Dynasty.
The palace was originally constructed in 1394 by Jeong Do-jeon. Gyeongbokgung continuation expanded during the reign of King Taejong and King Sejong the Great. but the palace was burnt down during the Japanese invasions of Korea (1592-1598).
It was reconstructed during the regency of Daewon-gun in 1867 as a massive 330 building complex with 5,792 rooms. Standing on 4,414,000 square feet (410,000 square meters) of land, it was a symbol of majesty for the Korean people and the home of the royal family. In 1895 the assassination of Empress Myeongseong by the Japanese agents, her husband, Emperor Gojong left the palace and the imperial family would never return.
In 1911, the government of Japan demolished all but 10 buildings during the period of Korea under Japanese rule, constructing the Japanese General Government Building for the Governor-General of Korea in front of the throne hall.
After Korean independence, major buildings on the site include Geunjeongjeon, the Imperial throne room (national treasure number 223), and Gyeonghoeru Pavilion (national treasure number 224), which stands in an artificial lotus lake and rests on 48 granite pillars. The pavilion is depicted on the Korean banknotes of 10,000 won.
Today the palace is open to the public, and the National Folk Museum of Korea is located on the site. The National Museum of Korea was there too, until it was relocated to Yongsan-gu in 2005.
Many Koreans still hope to resurrect part of the original palace. Archeological work has brought 330 building foundations to light. However, the original magnificence of the palace may never be fully restored. Fortunately, the main gate into the palace called Gwanghwamun is now being restored to its original state to be completed in 2009.
The Blue House
The back garden of the Palace used to contain the main part of the Governror-General’s residence during the Japanese era. With the establishment of the Republic of Korea in 1948, President Syngman Rhee used it as his office and residence. In 1993, after President Kim Young-sam’s civilian administration was launched, the Japanese governor-general’s residence in the Cheong Wa Dae compound was dismantled to remove a major symbol of the Japanese colonial occupation.
This National Folk Museum of Korea was established by Yanagi Soetsu in 1924. And, this museum was succeeded to to the South Korea government. It is situated on the grounds of the Gyeongbokgung (Gyeongbok Palace) in Seoul, South Korea, and uses replicas of historical objects to illustrate the folk history of the Korean people.
The museum has three exhibition halls which illustrate ‘The History of the Korean People’ from pre-historic times to the end of the Joseon Dynasty in 1910, ‘The Lifestyle of the Korean People’, and ‘The Lifecycle of a Korean from Birth to Death’. It also houses a children’s museum and an outdoor exhibition.
The museum was originally sited on Mt Namsan, and moved to the Gyeongbokgung in 1975. The current building was built in 1972 and housed the National Museum of Korea until 1986. It was remodelled, and reopened as the National Folk Museum in 1993. The building’s design is based on various historical buildings around South Korea.
Namdaemun Market is a large market in Seoul, South Korea. Namdaemun means “great south gate”, as the market is located very near the large gate of the old city. The gate itself is known as Namdaemun, or Sungnyemun.
Namdaemun market is one of the oldest continually running markets in South Korea, and it is the largest retail market in Seoul. It occupies many city blocks, which are blocked off from most car traffic. Namdaemun Market, Seoul’s oldest and largest retail center
Much of the market is outside, but there are also many stores which line the streets. Many retailers buy their items, particularly clothing, at wholesale prices at Namdaemun, to resell in their own stores in other cities. Namdaemun is a popular tourist attraction, but most of the customers are Korean.